Points of interest
Great North Road
Great North Road through Five Dock is the only section which retains its original name.
Remains of the original convict-built ferry landing are at the end of Punt Road Gladesville. A little of the original stone guttering exists near the entry to Banjo Patterson Park.
Probably built as an inn for Great North Road travellers.
The original Road
The original Road followed the present line of Victoria Road to St Annes church at Ryde, and then roughly followed Blaxland Road, the North Road, Corunna Rd, Vimiera Rd, Essex St, Old Beecroft Road, and New Line Road to Dural.
A convict-built stone causeway crosses Devlins Creek between the railway line and Beecroft Road, under the M2 bus flyover.
Pyes Creek bridge
Abutments of a small masonry bridge (circa 1830) are in a reserve in Woodlark Place, Cherrybrook.
Convict hewn rock faces and stone gutters remain on the original line of New Line Road off Daintree Place, Dural.
St Judes church Dural
St Judes church Dural, built with convict hewn stone circa 1846.
Several unmarked gravesites , including one multiple grave recently found support a local legend that convicts were buried here after an uprising.
The Glenorie to Maroota
The Glenorie to Maroota section was abandoned shortly after its completion, in favour of the more hospitable route through Pitt Town. It returned to use after motor vehicles were introduced. Considerable evidence of the Road can be found along Old Northern Road including what may be a 1830s road construction cart track .
Old Telegraph Road
Here there is an operating stone culvert and quarry near by, and the evidence of where there had been a small bridge.
Former convict campsite
Former convict campsite at Little Maroota Forest, now on private property "Tobruk". A branch road leads down to the Hawkesbury River at Walkers Beach.
Great views. Stone walling and disused bridge nearby.
Descent to Wisemans Ferry
Stone walling, culverts under road, small bridge circa 1830, picked rock faces, and quarries.
Wisemans Ferry Stockade
Remains of original convict campsite.
Wisemans Ferry Inn
Built around Solomon Wiseman's grand house, Cobham Hall.
Named after former convict Solomon Wiseman who settled here in 1816.
A structure built circa 1828 to provide fresh water for convicts and stock.
Wisemans Ferry crossing
Moved to present site in 1829. Oldest ferry service in Australia.